This backend version is not supported to design database diagrams or tables. (MS Visual Database Tools) - Solution

In order to manage SQL server databases, you have to install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). However, remember that you need to install a compatible version of SSMS as some features may not work if it's not compatible with the SQL Server version.

In my case, I installed SQL Server 2022 (RTM) 16.0! Before installing the specific SQL Server version, I wasn't aware of the version. I simply chose the Express installation from the main page and installed SQL Server. Then, I installed SSMS 18. However, when I opened SSMS and tried to create a table, I encountered the following error:

'This backend version is not supported to design database diagrams or tables. (MS Visual Database Tools)'

After a brief search, I found that it was a compatibility issue. You need to use the latest version of SSMS that matches your SQL Server version. I resolved this problem by downloading and installing SSMS 19 (Preview).

If you want to know which version of SQL Server you are using, you can run this query/command in SSMS:

select @@version

And it will display the version.Then, you can check the above given solution to resolve backend version is not supported problem.

Post a Comment

0 Comments