Advice for Junior Programmer

            Neither I am an expert programmer nor I have too much experience but I love to code and want to improve my skills. One of the ways to achieve this objective is, by sharing my knowledge and experience with others. After all, I am in this programming field for the last 7-8 years but still I think I am new. and I have to learn so many things Therefore, here are some of the rules which I have adopted and they can be helpful for Junior or new Programmers who are just kickstarting their new projects or career. Honestly writing, I am still struggling to act on some of my own rules :). In my opinion! these rules are difficult but they will finally help you to become a good programmer. And one more thing, learning, and implementation are two things! Maybe you have learned something but you need to implement it so that you can grasp it properly. So let's begin my 14 tips or advices for junior developer:

  1. Don’t copy-paste code ever, even you know the Syntax/Logic. Write Yourself Always.
  2. Develop or Contribute to Open Source Projects. You will know how world-class developers are writing code or what kind of code structure they adopt. It will help you in your portfolio as well.
  3. Join Programming Forums like Stackoverflow, Codeproject, etc. (View the list of programming forums here). Spend some time there to solve other developers' problems.
  4. Start Building Robust Portfolio (preferably research-based). GitHub or another version control system is your friend. 
  5. Write a Blog (like my) , share your knowledge, hard work and experience (You even can make money online through it. This side project will help you to pay your mobile bill at least)
  6. Prefer Good Mentor over Big Company. A good mentor will develop your skills. Maybe you will not agree on it but I think in this way.
  7. At first, don’t ask everything from a senior, try yourself first. Know the art of searching for the solution or googling.
  8. Don’t allow seniors to write code for you, get instruction but write  code yourself.
  9. Write Code for other developers, not for machines. I mean code in a way that other programmers can understand easily. Here I am mentioning two quotes of Robert C. martin aka Uncle Bob (Uncle Bob is American engineer and best selling author and founder of agile manifesto):
  10. Use comments always. You will forget your own code next month. 
  11. Always welcome new technologies. Don't hesitate to work on new techs. It is good to be a master of a specific language but don't get stuck with a single thing. Fundamentals are the same don't be scared to change. 
  12. Aim every day, love your work.
  13. If you don’t like the working environment or find a good opportunity then, Quit. Don’t waste your time.
  14. Read books,  besides watching tutorials either in blogs or in video format. Make a list of books that you want to read and on the top of the list place clean code by Robert C. Martin.

Hope that these little tips help you to grow as a programmer.


Post a Comment

0 Comments